There are two types of split peas used for split pea soup – green and yellow. Both are interchangeable so it doesn’t matter which you use for making split pea soup. Just bear in mind they may need soaking before they can be cooked – anywhere from 2 hours to overnight depending on the brand and recipe.
To cook: Soak overnight. Simmer for 20 mins or till tender
Just yellow split peas and nothing else.
Nutritional Analysis per 100g: Energy kj/kcal 344/83 Protein: 6.9g, Carbohydrate: 11.3g, Fat: 1.5g
Packed in a factory that handles nuts.
Split pea soup
200g/7oz Green or Yellow Split Peas
1 Large Onion, finely chopped
1.1L/2pts Strong Vegetable Stock (other stock can be used)
Salt and Black Pepper
1. Place in split peas in a large saucepan, cover with plenty of cold water, bring to the boil and continue to boil for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and leave to soak for 2 hours.
2. After this time, drain the peas well.
3. Melt the butter in a large saucepan; add the onions and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add the stock, drained peas, salt, pepper and bouquet garni, bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring from time to time.
5. Remove the bouquet garni and cool slightly.
6. Transfer to a liquidiser or food processor and process to a purée. Alternatively press through a sieve.
7. Return to the pan and heat through, adjusting the seasoning if necessary. Serve hot.